Monday, December 12, 2011

You Gave Me A Casserole

'Tis the season of Secret Santas, ding-dong-ditched goodies and donating money to those who need it most. There are random acts of charity going on all around us this time of the year. I love it. I've come to love doing this kind of thing, it's just amplified around Christmas time. 

Whenever I feel like a friend or stranger is having a hard time, I have my pile of go-to's. Usually a plate of cookies, a bag of hugs, or a bowl of soup. Easy, but it let's them know I'm thinking of them right?

 Yeah I guess so. But now that I've got that mastered, it's time to upgrade.

Check out how Bro. Riggins, my New Testament teacher explained this to me.

He read to us Matt 25:35-36. You know the verses well.
"For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked and ye clothed me: I was sick and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me."


Doing any kind of service is wonderful. It's what God want's us to do. So when we bring a plate of cookies or a casserole over to a struggling friend or neighbor, we are indeed serving and doing good. However, we can do better.

Brother Riggins then re-read the same verse like this:

"For I was an hungred... and ye gave me a casserole."
"I was thirsty..... ye gave me a casserole"
"I was a stranger.... ye gave me a casserole."
" Naked.... and ye gave me a casserole."
"Sick.....and ye gave me a casserole."
"I was in prison.... and ye gave me a casserole."

I realized that giving "casseroles" is just fine, there is nothing wrong with it. I'm sure the receivers are very grateful. But why do I see a need and immediately try and make it better with food? 

Because it's so easy! It's so in my comfort zone, it's not awkward, it's normal, it doesn't take much thought.

But do they really need my casserole? Or do they need my time, my listening ear, someone to walk to the store with, someone to watch their kids for a few hours, help with their homework, a shoulder to cry on, an invitation to do something... the list goes on and on.

I realized this when I first started visiting the elderly at the rest homes in Rexburg. I wanted to serve them, but I couldn't bring them a plate of cookies they weren't allowed to eat. I had to dig a bit deeper and stretch myself out of my comfort zone.

I've learned the need to be "quick to observe" the individual needs of those I come in contact with. I need to discover my own talents and use them to lift and edify others.

I'll leave you with one of my very favorite quotes by President Monson (it's the first quote pictured below):


That's just something that's been on my mind quite a bit and I thought I'd share.Now, if you do feel the desire to bring me a casserole, by all means, go right on ahead :)



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...