Sunday, May 15, 2011

O’er Moor and Fen, O’er Crag and Torrent, Till

Listen to this as you read :)


Hymn 97. Lead Kindly Light


I'm afraid I have never really appreciated this song until just recently. In my mind it was just that one hymn that had a bunch of funny one syllable words. Moor. Fen. Crag. What is this?
Recently, I have come to absolutely love this hymn and the message it contains. The third verse still kind of throws me off with it's funny words. One day I'll take the time to study those out and appreciate them. But not today, because today I am in love with the first two verses.

Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom,
Lead Thou me on;
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead Thou me on.
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene one step enough for me.
  I was not ever thus, nor prayed that Thou
Shouldst lead me on;
I loved to choose and see my path; but now
Lead Thou me on.
I loved the garish day, and spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will: Remember not past years. 
I certainly am one who loves "to choose and see my path". I like to be in control, 
I like to make the calls. However, I am learning more and more each day that all 
I can do is keep moving forward one step and a time and trust that the Lord will 
"keep my feet" and lead me on. 





9 comments:

  1. Moor, Fen, Crag, Torrent... are all different types of terrain. So I believe that line of the lyric to mean, that with The Lord's help, I can overcome any obstacle in my path, even through the night.

    Then again, I'm no poet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This is so inspiring about the different types of terrain.

      Delete
    2. I love this insight! This was really helpful to me! This hymn is very special to our family. I also thought about the phrase 'till the night is gone' - night can also mean thru the difficult times. Just my thoughts.

      Delete
  2. Recently, it crossed my mind that Mahatma Gandhi loved this hymn and I searched Google.
    Fantastic lyrics!I'm going to memorise the prayer and sing it every morning. Thanks Google!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I had a tech difficulty in my post, but wanted to say "Thank you" for this reference to Ghandi. I looked up the amazing ideas of Ghandi's "satyagraha" because of your comment. "“Lead, kindly Light” came to represent the spirit of his satyagraha campaigns..." https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1030570X9701000109

      Delete
  3. Thank you. I love the definition of the terrains by @Hagothsen. Today I found that Edward Henry Bickersteth "added a fourth 'pirate verse' for the poem's republication in the Hymnal Companion in 1870." I am sorry that John Newman was not pleased with the publishers for including this verse, but glad that he recognized the beauty of the verse. In our day, I think this verse is so helpful. See the wikipedia page for "Lead, Kindly Light" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead,_Kindly_Light

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...