Saturday, December 3, 2011

Awkward and Awesome: Asking the Dad

I was walking through the i-center on Tuesday about an hour after devo when I saw/heard the following. 

Picture this: 

There was a gruff looking older man sitting next to a timid looking young man. I caught onto the conversation at this point:

Awkward
Young Man: "No, I'm not trying to steal your daughter away from your family." (frantic expression, short, anxious breaths) "What I really want is to become a part of your family."

At this point, I was captivated. I had to find out what the older gentleman was going to say!

Super Awkward
The old man took a deep breath and then paused for what felt like an eternity... no expression on his face.

Awesome
He then leaned over, patted the boys leg and said, "We want you to be apart of our family too."

I had no idea who this boy was, but it took every ounce of my will-power to refrain from cheering and jumping for joy. I was just so happy that he said yes!

After recounting this story to my roommates and various others who joined in my excitement for the young man, we had some meaningful conversation about the idea of asking permission from the dad.
Perhaps if my father had been consulted beforehand, this proposal would have never taken place :)
Some said it was old fashioned and that the dad didn't really have a say in who their daughter married, others found it romantic and adorable. Some said that they felt bad for whoever they married cause their dad would be tough to please. What are your thoughts?

Old fashioned? Adorable?
Awkward? Awesome?

Stories are more than welcome :)

Love, Noelle

1 comment:

  1. I think it is a must :) I'm sure my dad will have the castration box (for the cows) out haha. Poor boy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...