Saturday, July 7, 2012

Pay it Forward

I must start this off by explaining one thing. The water in Riverton is awful. It seriously has the foulest taste to it that is ever imaginable. I would drink contaminated Peru water over Riverton water any day.

That being said. I often go to Walmart after work to buy gallons of water to quench my thirst throughout this dry, hot summer. Well, one day I was plum out of water and rushed over to Walmart after work to pick them up.

As I was checking out, I found to my horror that I didn't have my debit card with me. I had lost it.  I lose things often, so this wasn't an uncommon, "freak-out-because-my-debit-card-could-be-anywhere" occurrence. It was more of a "oh-my-heck-how-am-I-going-to-not-die-of dehydration???" freak out.

So I ditched everything else in my cart except for the water and began to sift through the contents of my purse looking for any coinage.

I was 11 cents short! So thirsty, so embarrassed and SO eleven cents short. As I regretfully began to tell the cashier woman that I actually didn't want the water... or anything for that matter anymore... a saint of a woman behind me said, "Do you just want that water? Oh for goodness sakes, here's a quarter!"

YAY! She was so nice and saved me from a certain early death.

Fast forward... oh two weeks or so.

I'm at the dollar store buying ziploc baggies. The lady in front of me is rummaging her purse for some coinage. I think to myself, "Now where have I seen this before? Oh yes, this was you two weeks ago, help this woman out!" So I check the price on the register, $3.74 and I whip out 3 quarters faster than you could say "Cha-Ching" and handed them to the cashier. 

The lady seemed rather embarrassed and continuously explained that she didn't NEED my money. She has money. She thanked me and said that she wished she could see me again and pay me back (Come on it was 74 cents woman!). I told her that not two weeks ago, a kind lady had just done the same exact thing for me and I was just paying it forward.

She seemed to like that and committed to pay it forward as well.

I wish I could watch a series of "Pay it Forwards". Imagine the possibilities!

If one person started one Pay it Forward every single day . . . 


Love, Noelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...