Friday, July 20, 2012

It Happens to Everyone

You know what I'm talking about. That moment when you're sittin' in your car, driving around either trying to park, or get out of a parking spot... when all of a sudden you hear that dread "CLANG!" and you think, "Oh my goodness what have I hit!?!?"

You're blood is pumping, your heart is beating, your mind is racing. You barely remember to move the vehicle out of the middle of the road, swing it into park and fling the door open, rushing to the scene of the crime.

I had made it over 5 (with my license) without this happening!
Until Sunday.

I was in a mad rush to get to ward prayer on time, I'm the ward prayer co-chair (or co-throne as Jeremy and I have dubs'd ourselves). My parents had just been kind enough to switch me cars, my old/falling apart/gheeetto Geo for their nice Ford Explorer Truck. What good people!

They had literally just pulled out of the driveway SECONDS before the "accident". I feel bad for having rushed them out, but I had places to be and duties to fulfill!

So Bridgette and I hopped in the truck I put it into drive and went to flip a U-y on my street.  I don't really remember hearing anything, or even feeling anything for that matter, but I knew something was wrong.

"Uh Bridgette, did I hit something?"
"I don't know"

Pull over. Park. Fling Door Open. Run to Scene of Crime. Bam! Bam! Bam!

Sure enough, I had taken out the neighbors mail box.... with the neighbors on the front porch watching the entire thing.

Me:"Oh my gosh! I just took out your mailbox!!!!"
Them: "Hahahah"

Lucky for me, I didn't crush the actual box, I had just hit it in a manner so that it was pathetically dangling from the wood post that it was nailed to. PHEW!! This looked like an easy fix! I would just plop it back into his rightful position...

Except for when the nice neighbor lady realized that between the two wood planks that I had just disheveled was a wasp nest! Two points for me!

The neighbor ladies were super, super nice about it and I was able to leave only moments later and got to ward prayer a little later than I would have liked, but considering the turn of events... I'd say it was just fine.

I was lucky. No real damage done. Neighbors were watching, so I didn't have to do that dreaded knock on the door and foolishly try to explain that I was a bozo.

I hope I paid my dues, as minor as they were, because I surely hope to never be in that situation again.

Maybe I miss my old, clunky, SMALL geo?

Love, Noelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...