Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Smit·ten

–adjective
1.struck, as with a hard blow.
2.grievously or disastrously stricken or afflicted.
3.very much in love.
(How funny is it that it has two negative, awful meanings and then it also means something so lovely? Which definition do you think of first?)

Once upon a time I was at a boy's apartment in which most of the boys who lived there were home and in the living room. Enter roommate named ... for the sake of the story,and to protect his identity, though I doubt he will ever see this, we'll call him Henry.

This is said "Henry", with a knife...thinking about the movie Charly...don't ask :)
So Henry walks in, and I believe this was the day that everybody was coming home from various places after General Conference weekend. I don't really remember exactly what happened, what I do remember is that Henry had met a girl that weekend and he had fallen for her. His exact words were, "Guys, I'm smitten!"

I think I died that day. It was so funny and so sweet to hear him go on and on to his roommates about how he was completely smitten by this girl. Smitten! Of all words! It's not one you hear very often anymore.

Here's one website's definition of Smitten:
More than like, but not quite love yet, its that feeling in between the two. That feeling of butterflies in your tummy. Its that feeling that makes you smile whenever you think about that special person.

I remember telling my roommates this story and we all sat there and thought, "Wow, I can't wait til I find a boy who meets me and can't help but go home to his roommates and express enthusiastically how smitten he is with me!"

Now I have no idea what, if anything,  happened between Henry and this girl. But I don't think I will ever forget that "smitten moment".  And to make sure I never forget it, I had to publish it in the blog of course.

You know how when you see a couple that's dating, you can get a good feel for their relationship just by watching them for a few minutes. You can tell whether or not the couple likes each other, or if their SMITTEN with each other.
Smitten? I think yes.
It also makes me think of my relief society adviser and her husband. Brother and Sister Herbert. They are both  in their... 60's maybe? And you can just tell that they are still so smitten with each other. You can see it in the way they act around each other, in the way they talk about each other, in the way they talk to each other and in just about everything. They are SO SMITTEN. And it is soooo cute. We just love them. They are a great example of how a husband and a wife should treat each other.
Brother and Sister Herbert:Smitten
Photo Courtesy of Anna Freeby

Smitten. Good word Henry, good word. I'm putting it on the list.

Are you smitten? Do tell :)

Love, Noelle





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...