Saturday, June 2, 2012

An Apple A Day

Ok, lets be frank here. Apples are a boring fruit. Nobody gets excited when mom brings home a bag of apples from the store. Raspberries? Yes. Mangoes? Yes. Kiwi? For sure. Apples? Not even close.
And to be honest, the only time I'm really happy to see an apple is when it looks like this:
Claire and I interrupting Keri's Halloween date. Sorry love, it had to be done.
Fall 2010 
Oh yeah. Smothered in ooey-gooey, "I'm so going to rip your teeth out" caramel. Without that goodness, apples just don't make the cut, on my list anyway. Until about a month ago....

So I'm on this date, driving around town and somehow fruit gets brought up. Amongst this conversation my date made mention of how he eats at least one apple everyday. Now, we all know the age old adage, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" but nobody in their right mind would seriously eat an apple a day! Well he really did.... and now I really do!

I was immediately intrigued. I wonder if I would be less likely to get sick if I simply ate one apple a day. I've only being faithful for one whole week now (the beginning was kinda rocky...). That my friends is 7 apples down in one week. I'm pretty sure that in the entire year of 2011, I only ate 6 apples. So this is quite the feat. And it's only been a week, but so far, I'm feelin' good! I just picked up 7 more Pink Ladies from the store last night, so I'm all set for week two. 

But I need your help. What apples are your favorite? I could not believe how many different kinds there are.
First I got Fuji cause they were cheap. . . they're ok, but not like WOAH BABY! I'm pretty pleased with my Pink Ladies, but I'm definitely open for suggestion. Just no Red Delicious. Bleck. I think that's why I am so turned off to apples. Bad childhood memories perhaps.

And just in case you were curious, here are a few apple gems that I have found that give me inspiration:

Apples are... 

"Low in calories. A regular size apple has between 70-100 calories. Eating an apple when craving for candy or chocolate can make the desire disappear since apple in itself contains sugar, but gives you only ¼ of the calories."

"Apples contain phenols, which have a double effect on cholesterol. It reduces bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol. They prevent LDL cholesterol from turning into oxidized LDL, a very dangerous form of bad cholesterol which can be deadly."

"Prevent tooth decay. Tooth decay is an infection that seriously damages the structure of your teeth, which is caused primarily because of bacteria. The juice of the apples has properties that can kill up to 80% of bacteria. So there you have it, an apple a day also keeps the dentist away!"

"Prevent Cancers. Notice the plural. We all know that cancer comes in several forms and in different places. Apples target multiple cancers such as colon cancer, prostate cancer and breast cancer in women." 
These and many more fun apple health facts can be found here.

Also, quick sidenote.. I ran my very first official 5K race this morning! I got a free t-shirt, granola bars and everything. Wahoo!

Here's to a fruitful week!
Love, Noelle

3 comments:

  1. Just so you know, in the summer time I eat at LEAST one apple a day for lunch and occasionally for a snack. I am obsessed with apples and am PROUD of it. Favorites include: Gala, and honey crisp are some of my very favorites (Fujis are kind of a hit and miss, sometimes they're SOOOOO good and sometimes they're mleh). Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First and foremost CONGRATS on the 5k! I love when I see people converting to the sport that is near and dear to my heart. It brings me such satisfaction! Second, I like golden delicious apples. They are the greenish yellow ones and they aren't mushy like red delicious ones! They aren't sour either. Sometimes I like to chop up an apple and put it in some vanilla yogurt. That may be good advice since you aren't an avid apple eater!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE apples, I am a washington girl of course. sadly fuji are my favorite, right up there with gala.
    love you miss you!!
    ps apples are SUPER good in salads, with peanut butter, with chocolate, and in oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...