Saturday, May 5, 2012

Why Aren't We Laughing?


Remember how on Pinterest the following saying was being posted like crazy? You may not recall, but I do. And here's why:


I remember it partly because I didn't like it, and mostly because I didn't get it. I can pretty much not relate to this quaint, little phrase one bit!

I've made plans my whole life. I remember at a young age (maybe 10 or so) hearing the word Valedictorian for the first time, and making a plan at that moment that I was going to graduate 8 years later with that title.

I made plans to get involved. To be an efy counselor. To work in the Kimball building. To memorize documents that are important to me. To learn Spanish. To get healthy.

Eight months ago, I made a huge plan that (to be honest) I didn't really think would follow through. I decided that I wanted to travel and do humanitarian work, and I decided that I wanted to intern for the church. These were two things that I have dreamed about for a long time, but they just didn't seem in my reach. 
But, I planned on them anyway. Lo and behold, those dreams became plans, and those plans became a reality. Here I am, living in Utah, interning for the Church after having just spent three of the best months of my life serving in Peru.

I have my graduation plans all lined up. I have a plan for another internship. I have plans for exactly where I want to work when I graduate. I have plans to marry in the temple and raise the cutest little family that you ever did see. I have plans to run a marathon. I have plans to make a difference. I have plans to see more of the world. Oh do I have plans....and I tell God my plans.

 And you know what.... I'm not hearing much divine laughter.

Love, Noelle

2 comments:

  1. you can do whatever you want!
    have I ever told you how amazing you are?
    you are so amazing and beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had chills while reading this, and I think you are right on. I didn't think that quote/saying/board whatever was funny in the least either. We are always told TO plan, TO dream, TO achieve, and that Heavenly Father is happy for our success. If we don't plan, we'll never get anywhere in this life.
    Thank you for this post, and I admire all that you have done with your life up to this point. You're meant to be great!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...