Tuesday, May 1, 2012

10-year-mark

Today, May 1st, marks the ten year anniversary of when I first got "sick". I remember it because it was the day we moved back into the valley from South Lake Tahoe, CA and the May-Day dances were being held.

That is the first day that I remember feeling "sick". Essentially, this means that I have been living with Stills Disease or Juvenille Rheumatoid Arthritis for the past ten years. Can you believe it? I can. In fact, it almost seems likes it's been longer. It's hard to remember a time when I was without this constant companion of mine.

It's hard to remember a time when I didn't worry about my joints deteriorating and becoming more and more mangled as I grew up. It's hard to remember a time when I didn't dread the rain storms and humidity that would surely cause my body to ache and stiffen.

But it's also hard to remember a time when I was miserable. While it's been surely been a challenge, it hasn't been unbearable. It hasn't been impossible. It hasn't been miserable. It's been fine. It's been great even.

Ten years ago I may have felt like I would not have a normal life and be able to do the things that I wanted to. Yet in those ten years, I have not ONCE been stopped from doing something that I wanted to because of Stills. I have climbed mountains, traveled, played sports, danced, served, loved, and carried on throughout life as happy as I possibly could be.

Ten years. Wow. TEN YEARS!

Time Flies.

Love, Noelle

1 comment:

  1. Noelle I admire you sooo much! I am so grateful I got put in the same apartment as you 3 years ago:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...