Sunday, August 5, 2012

A World Without Sundays

My love for the Sabbath was magnified today as for a few moments I considered what my life would be like if I didn't have Sunday. More specifically, if I didn't attend my church meetings.

What a horrible thought!

One of my favorite things about this gospel that I love so very much, is that we can wake up each morning and start over. We can try harder to be a little better than we were yesterday. We can put forth more of an effort to do the things that we didn't make time for the day before. We have a new day to be kinder, more charitable. Another chance to start our day with a heartfelt conversation with our Father in Heaven. It's a gospel of second chances. And thirds and fourths and fifths and sixths. Then on that seventh day, we get to go to sacrament meeting and renew the covenants we made at baptism. We can constantly repent of the shortcomings we make through the week. It's a great time to reflect and point out the areas we need to improve.

It gets better...

 On top of that, each Sunday we are edified and taught by speakers and teachers who have spent the past week or so prayerfully considering and putting together lessons and talks to share with us. Three hours of it! I've walked out of church every Sunday for the past three months with a huge smile on my face and an even greater resolve to start clean this next week and be better. There is always hope. I can always start again.


There are some things that I feel like I have  been working on for years and years. It can be so frustrating to think that even after all those years, I still haven't even come close to mastering what I want to change. During church each Sabbath, I find so much strength and desire to keep working on it. I come home feeling so full of hope, love and determination. A glimpse of my potential is realized and I want more than anything to course correct, yet again, so that I can reach it. I know that the Lord has invested so much into me, and I want to make it worth it


“The invitation to repent is rarely a voice of chastisement but rather a loving appeal to turn around and to ‘re-turn’ toward God. It is the beckoning of a loving Father and His Only Begotten Son to be more than we are, to reach up to a higher way of life, to change, and to feel the happiness of keeping the commandments.”
Oh how grateful I am that I do not live in a world without Sundays. I dearly need that pick-me-up/come-on-noelle-you-can-do-this! that I feel while attending my meetings each week.
Love, Noelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...