Saturday, December 22, 2012

SugarSugarSugarSugarSugarSugar

I've been home from school for almost a full week now.  In this past week, I have consumed more sugar than I usually eat during an entire semester. The treats seriously just keep coming and coming. The doorbell never seems to stop ringing. And mmmm dang are they good.
This year, our family is doing mom's famous "citrus" rolls again. She makes dozens of pans of these glorious rolls and I'm pretty sure at one point I ate a whole pan all to myself in one day. They're that good. Especially fresh out of the oven.

Me and Beebs helped deliver them this year, but almost nobody was home when we went! Where are you people on Friday afternoons?

Anyways, all these goodies got me thinking, and asking myself the following questions.

1. At what age, or point in life, do you get in on this whole treat giving thing? I'm assuming that to recieve them, you probably should give something in return... but is this something that newlyweds do? Do they hit the ground running by starting up some neighborhood treat giving tradition that they carry on year after year from here on out? Or do they wait til they have kids of their own so that they can send them up to the door to drop off the treats? What about older single adults who live on their own? Do they give treats?

2. When I do start giving treats, whenever that is... what on earth will I give? Now, we've gotten some great stuff, but let's face it, some of it is better than others. But is that what's going to matter to me? The quality of my gift? Or is it more of a "thought-that-counts" type of thing.

Some of my favorites are the sample platters. The plates that have 3 or 4 different treats. A couple cookies, couple pieces of fudge, some homemade caramels. Maybe I'll do that?

Do people do fruit-baskets anymore? I remember in YW's we'd put together baskets full of fruit and nuts to give to people at Christmas. I remember thinking that that was so boring. But after eating nothing but sweets day in and day out, oh man, I'd love it if the next caroler brought us a basket of fruit!

3. I've decided that all baked goods are best when they come straight out of the oven. Rolls are fluffier, cookies are chewier, brownies are gooier and bread is softer and more moist and just plain out better! However, when these treats arrive at your house, chances are they aren't fresh out of the oven. They're probably not still warm... but that's ok! Because I have discovered the beauty of the microwave + holiday treats. Throw that cookie, cinnamon roll, slice of bread in the microwave for 10 seconds and voila! You've upped it's deliciousness factor ten-fold.

4. Each time the doorbell rings, and as I excitedly accept another plate of goodies, I am filled with such love and gratitude for the people who drop them off. I know that it's tradition and EVERYONE does it, but just knowing that they not only took the time to make these delicious goodies, but they thought about our family and chose to deliver them to US -  That makes me feel so good!  There are some good people in this world, and many of the great ones live within a walking distance of my house. They're awesome and I'm grateful for the opportunity Christmas goodies gives me to be reminded of the wonderful people I have grown up with!

5. My oh my. How grateful am I that Christmas comes BEFORE New Years? Somebody was thinking with that one. Hello sugar detox, you are greatly needed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...