Thursday, December 13, 2012

Away in a Manger

This song has SO much special meaning to me. Yes, my name is Noelle. Yes, I love "The First Noel". However, lately, I've been thinking that "Away in a Manger" makes the tippy when it comes to my favorite Christmas carols.

That third verse gets me every time. When I was 18, I got really, really sick and went through really rough time. It was August, so I'm not sure why or how I heard "Away in a Manger", but I did and absolutely fell in love with the third verse.

"Be near me Lord Jesus; I ask thee to stay.

Close by me forever, and love me, I pray."

I remember silently singing those two lines to myself over and over as I laid in my hospital bed, pleading with the Lord to stay close to me. Those lines brought me so much comfort and so much peace and I still can't sing this song without tearing up ever so slightly.

The last two lines of that exact verse have recently taken on new meaning in my life and have become equally close to my heart. I went to Spanish stadium singing a week or two ago and sang this beautiful hymn in Spanish. As I did my thoughts turned to my ninos that I loved and left in Peru.

"Bless all the dear children, in thy tender care,
And fit us for heaven to live with thee there."
It breaks my heart when I think a bout how I may never see my ninos again. How I may never get to hold them, help them, feed them, clean up their cuts and scrapes,  wipe away their tears, sing and rock them to sleep, tell them how great they are.

I will have no idea if Aurora will continue on in  her education and really make something of herself.
 I'll never know if the Marco's polio will get worse and worse.

I'll never know if the seed we planted in Kati's heart will grow and if she'll ever become a member of the church.

 I'll never know their successes, their trials, their achievements, and there is not much that I can do about it.
All I can do is plead with my Heavenly Father to "bless all my dear ninos, in His tender care, and fit us for heaven that I might be reunited, and live with them there."

Knowing that I will see them again, ( and actually understand what their saying ;) brings me so much joy!




1 comment:

  1. Freak. I'm already at my computer crying from looking at pictures of kids crying from this morning's shooting and now you post this and I just wanna cry some more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...